Friday, March 8, 2019

Whatever God Starts, He Finishes

I’m getting ready to make a list of jobs I have not yet finished. I repaired and plastered a wall but have not yet textured and painted it. I did the same in our hallway but still haven’t painted there. I bought some replacement hardware for a recliner but haven’t replaced it yet so the recliner still leans about ten degrees to the left.

Although I bought the part for it, I haven't gotten around to fixing the toilet that keeps getting stuck nor have I completed caulking around some cabinet work after I purchased some caulk for it. Then, there is the gutter I bought to go over the back door which would prevent water from drenching our heads when it’s raining, but, you guessed it, I haven’t gotten that up either.

I saw a sign recently that said; “If a man says he’s going to do something, he will do it. There is no need to remind him of it every six months.” That fits me pretty well. I still haven't even finished writing that list of jobs I need to complete.

But I am thankful for something: God is not like this. He created the world and completed it in six days.

God had a plan for the people of Israel. The Apostle Paul, quoting Isaiah, states, “He will finish the work.”[i]

I like this part: He set out to provide forgiveness for our sins. Jesus had said that he was going to be crucified. [ii] He said that if he would be “lifted up” (crucified) that he would draw all men to him.[iii] He didn't come to be ministered to, "but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.”[iv] Jesus came to this world for this very reason.

It’s obvious that Jesus had begun this task of providing redemption for humanity through his death and resurrection. But would he complete it? Yes, he would! And yes, he did!

The last words Jesus said before dying on the cross were these; “It is finished.” What did he mean? He meant this: “I have now done and suffered all things which lay upon me in this life to do and suffer.”[v]

If Jesus were like me, he might have said; “I’m too tired, I don’t want to go through with this.” Or – “This cross is too painful,” at which point he could have called the angels of heaven to come down and deliver him right then and there.[vi] He could have said; “I have better and less costly things to do,” and then abandoned the project. But no, he found great delight, even in the midst of his suffering, to finish the job of bringing atonement to us, the fallen human race.

Albert Barnes said concerning this:
The sufferings and agonies in redeeming man are over. The work long contemplated, long promised, long expected by prophets and saints, is done. The toils in the ministry, the persecutions and mockeries, and the pangs of the garden and the cross, are ended, and man is redeemed. What a wonderful declaration was this! How full of consolation to man! And how should this dying declaration of the Saviour reach every heart and affect every soul!
I am glad to know that I serve a Savior who, when he began the process of performing his Father’s (God's) plan of salvation for us, did not quit in the midst of it but followed through and completed it.


I don’t know why Jesus loved me.

I don’t know why he cared.
I don’t know why he sacrificed his life.
Oh, but I’m glad! So glad he did!


He left his mighty throne in glory

to bring to us redemption’s story.
Then he died and he rose again.
Just for you and me.
Oh, but I’m glad! So glad he did. [vii]








[i] Romans 9.28
[ii] Matthew 17.22-23, 20.9; 26.2; Luke 24.7;
[iii] John 12.32
[iv] Mark 10.45
[v] Matthew Poole
[vi] Matthew 26.53
[vii] I Don’t Know Why Jesus Loved Me – Andrae Crouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment