Monday, January 28, 2019

When You're Against the Wall, Will You Stick?



They say you can tell when spaghetti is ready to serve by one simple test. Boil the pasta noodles for maybe eight to twelve minutes. Test the spaghetti by throwing it against a wall. If it sticks, it’s ready.

So, my question for you is this: When you find yourself against the wall, do you stick?

All of us face adversity and trials in life – no matter who we are; rich or poor, dark or light, male or female, young or old, educated or illiterate, brainy or mentally challenged, strong or weak.

We all face challenges, difficulties and heartache. All of us have, or will at some point, find ourselves, like cooked spaghetti, with our backs against the wall.

There is a Mexican phrase which can be translated. “between the sword and the wall” or as they say, “Between the devil and the deep blue sea.” There are times in our lives when it doesn’t feel safe to move forward nor safe to retreat.

Christians especially should expect this. Jesus said; “in the world ye shall have tribulation.” (We’ll come back later for the rest of that bible verse.)

He also stated:
If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.[i]
Peter, the Apostle of Jesus, said:
Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:[ii]
The question is not “if” but “when” will I experience such trouble? At what point any of us may find our backs against the wall, we cannot say.

How will we respond when such hardship comes our way?

We can respond with panic, anger, hostility, or bitterness. We can be like a dog that has been cornered – not a pretty sight.

We can cow down and curl up into a fetal position – that is – just give up.

Or – we can respond in faith. The rest of the verse I started above reads:
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.[iii]
This is the only way you will be able to “stick.” Many of us have seen those who started the race but never finished it.

We have seen soldiers of the faith who have gone AWOL whenever the battle ensued with great heat. Will we be a conqueror or a casualty when the going gets rough? Maybe you have lost some battles, but will you continue to fight the fight?

May we, like the Apostle Paul, be able to say in the end:
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.[iv]
Trust in Jesus. Stay in his word. Be filled with God’s Spirit. Walk in truth. Walk in love. Be faithful. Be steadfast. Love God. Love one another. Exercise your faith. Pray daily.

By doing so, you will be one who sticks when you’re up against the wall.




[i]   John 15.19.20
[ii]  1 Peter 4.12
[iii] John 16.33
[iv] 2 Timothy 4.7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment