Monday, May 7, 2018

Living Without Regret


“Regrets, I’ve had a few, but then again, too few to mention.”[i]

Many of us have had more regrets that we care to mention. We’d be embarrassed to talk about many of them. We might wish to be able to remedy our failures, but it may be too late for some of them.

At a conference I attended years ago, a gentleman stood to introduce a well known preacher. He told of many of his accomplishments and how highly regarded he was as a speaker. He concluded his introduction with these words: “Everywhere he’s gone, he’s never struck out.”

When the speaker came to the podium he said; “Don’t you just love these Baptist introductions? I’ve struck out! I’ve struck out as a pastor. I’ve struck out with my family and I’ve struck out as a person.” He then went on to preach a wonderful message.

I have told many people that if they would take good care of an ailing parent now, however difficult, that they would never regret it in the future but if they didn't they might regret it.

I regret many of the words I’ve spoken to my dearest friend – my wife. I regret not engaging more often with my children. I regret the times I didn’t take a clear stand for the Lord Jesus Christ. There are things I’ve done that I wish I hadn't and things I haven’t done that I wish I had.[ii]

Thank God though, that he has prevented me from experiencing many more regrets than I would have if I’d never come to know him. I was on the slippery slope that could have led to my destruction. If he hadn’t come into my life when he did, I would have landed very violently.

He has guided me through many rough patches that I could’ve never made it through without him.

How can any of us live a life without regret?


  • Place your faith in the only really trustworthy person there is – the Lord Jesus. Only he knows all there is to know. Only he knows you – even better than yourself. Only he loves you perfectly and consistently. He always has your best interest in mind.
  • Let God’s word be your guide. The bible has commandments, precepts and principles that will give you direction in the most uncanny ways. The Holy Spirit, who resides in the believer, will use his word to enlighten your mind and direct your heart.
  • Pray for wisdom. “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him” (James 1.5).
  • Stay close to God.
  • Confess your sins when you (and you will) falter. Then, turn from those sins.
  • Love God and love people. The great commandment of the scripture, (and the second alike) according to Jesus, is to “…love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself."[iii]
  • Take responsibility for the realm in which God has placed you. None of us has to accomplish everything – only what God lays before us.

  • Don’t give up. The apostle Paul said that he lived his life “in all good conscience before God.”[iv] He also said;
For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

May we all so live our lives – without regret.




[i]    My Way – song written by Paul Anka- sung by Frank Sinatra
[ii] “For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.” (Romans 7.15)
[iii]  Luke 10.27
[iv]  Acts 23.1; 2 Timothy 1.3

No comments:

Post a Comment