Monday, April 30, 2018

Where is Home?


For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself. (Philippians 3.20-21) 


Photo by Josh Felise on unsplash
When we’re born again by the power of God’s Spirit, many things happen to us, including: We become a child of God, we are made new in Christ, we’re redeemed from our sins and forgiven, we’re indwelled by God’s Spirit, we’re sealed by God’s Spirit and we become citizens of heaven.

We become citizens of heaven? How’s that? 

We are not just citizens here where we live in this world. Christians have always been a heavenly people. What does this mean? Let me share a parallel idea that I hope we can all grasp.

I am a Texan. I was born here, and except for when I lived a couple of times in other states (Missouri and Colorado), this is where I’ve always lived. I am a citizen here who votes in Texas elections, pays local taxes, and carries a Texas driver’s license. “Texas born, Texas bred – when I die, I’ll be Texas dead” (something like that).

I love going to Tennessee, Alabama, New Mexico, Colorado or other states. I’ve traveled to some other countries. When I’m in those places; however, I don’t cease being a Texan. People will frame their opinion of Texas partially by what they experience in me – good or bad.

The point is this: Although we are here for now, we are citizens of heaven. We’re born from above, God is our heavenly Father, we’re part of his heavenly kingdom and we’re his ambassadors in this world.

“So,” you say, “How can we be citizens of heaven when we’ve never been there or seen it?”

That’s the difference in how God works and man works. You have to live in the United States to become a citizen but in God’s system you become a citizen of heaven first, before you ever go there. We’re heavenly citizens now! (Ephesians 2.6)

This is just one reason heaven is so important to us. We’re waiting for our Savior to return from there. He’s going to take us to be with him there (John 14.2-3). He will remove all heartache, sorrow, disease, death, tears, threats, sin, evil and falsehood (Revelation 21. 25-27). It will be paradise (Revelation 22.1-5).

Christian, while living upon this earth for now, we are not at home here. We are to be seeking a better country – heaven (Hebrews 11.16), and we are strangers and pilgrims here (1 Peter 2.11).

Heaven – Jesus told us to invest in it. The longer I live my life, the more I realize that I am closer to the other side than ever before and I’m beginning to understand that I have much more there than I do here.[i]

Sure, enjoy your life, love your family, get yourself a house if need be, make a living, live each day to its fullest, but don’t forget – you’re not home yet.

Life can be wonderful but be prepared to be shunned by this world. Live joyfully but expect persecution.[ii]

Our best life is not here and it is not now. It is in that land that is fairer than day – that home which awaits us in heaven. Believe it.



[i] Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. (Matthew 6.19-21)
[ii] “…what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. (2 Timothy 3.11-12)

No comments:

Post a Comment