Sunday, July 2, 2017

How Important is Knowledge?

You don’t have to know much about electricity to enjoy it. You just turn on the lights.

You don’t have to know anything about aeronautics to fly. Just get on board and the pilot will get you to your destination.

You don’t have to know the number of the stars to sit out under a clear sky and enjoy the beauty of the night as you look at the majesty and glory of God's celestial creation.

You don’t have to understand all the intricacies of the respiratory system of the human body. Just breathe.

I do not know how someone with a wonderful family could be well fed, well clothed, well housed, healthy and smart, yet have a heart in turmoil and a feeling of discontent. But I’ve seen it.

At the same time, I don’t understand how another individual may be persecuted, hungry and hurting but still experience the peace of God which passes all understanding. I've seen this too.

You don’t have to be able to answer all the deep truths of scripture to enjoy the grace of our loving God. Just trust in his goodness and receive the salvation provided to you through the death and resurrection of his Son, Jesus Christ.

There’s a lot I don’t know, but then I don’t have to because my Father knows everything. Even the smartest among us can’t figure everything out for herself (see what I did there?). We can, however, trust in the infinite wisdom of an omniscient[1] God.

Knowledge is important; however, the most important thing is not WHAT we know but WHO we know. That’s why the Apostle Paul wrote: “for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.”[2]

This is also probably why Major Daniel Whittle wrote this hymn long ago:

I know not why God’s wondrous grace
To me He hath made known,
Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
Redeemed me for His own.

But “I know Whom I have believed,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day.”

I know not how this saving faith
To me He did impart,
Nor how believing in His Word
Wrought peace within my heart.

I know not how the Spirit moves,
Convincing men of sin,
Revealing Jesus through the Word,
Creating faith in Him.

I know not when my Lord may come,
At night or noonday fair,
Nor if I walk the vale with Him,
Or meet Him in the air.

But “I know Whom I have believed,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day.”


[1] Means: All knowing
[2] 2 Timothy 1.12

No comments:

Post a Comment