Sunday, January 15, 2017

Promised Blessings for those who Fully Follow God

What blessings might be in store for those who fully follow God? Is it worth the wait? Is it worth the ridicule, harassment and rejection?

Caleb was forty years old when he and Joshua stood out from the crowd and said, “We can and should go into the land.” When all the others saw the giants of the land, they melted and said; “We are as grasshoppers in their sight.” Caleb and Joshua said; “They are like bread. Let’s do it!”

Have you noticed that those who accomplished much never really did fit into the crowd? Show me a person who’s like everyone else and I’ll show you that they were very forgettable. The unforgettable are the unconformable. Jesus was not a conformist. Paul was not a conformist. Neither were Joseph, Daniel, Martin Luther, William Wilberforce, William Carey and so many other greatly accomplished individuals.

But it’s not enough to just be different for difference sake. We must find out where God is going and go with him. We must love him and pursue him with all of our hearts. When we do, we will stand out without even trying.

Caleb remained a steadfast pursuer of God from that time – 45 years. At the age of 85 he wanted to possess the mountain he had seen decades ago, a mountain that flourished with fruitfulness – but also a mountain where many giants dwelled. He still believed God’s promise that it belonged to Israel and that God would enable them to conquer. He said to Joshua “give me this mountain.”

I was forty years old when Moses the servant of the LORD sent me from Kadesh Barnea to spy out the land, and I brought back word to him as it was in my heart. Nevertheless my brethren who went up with me made the heart of the people melt, but I wholly followed the LORD my God. So Moses swore on that day, saying, 'Surely the land where your foot has trodden shall be your inheritance and your children's forever, because you have wholly followed the LORD my God.' And now, behold, the LORD has kept me alive, as He said, these forty-five years, ever since the LORD spoke this word to Moses while Israel wandered in the wilderness; and now, here I am this day, eighty-five years old. As yet I am as strong this day as on the day that Moses sent me; just as my strength was then, so now is my strength for war, both for going out and for coming in. Now therefore, give me this mountain of which the LORD spoke in that day; for you heard in that day how the Anakim were there, and that the cities were great and fortified. It may be that the LORD will be with me, and I shall be able to drive them out as the LORD said."

And Joshua blessed him, and gave Hebron to Caleb ,,, as an inheritance. Hebron therefore became the inheritance of Caleb ... to this day, because he wholly followed the LORD God of Israel.  ...

            Then the land had rest from war.

The enemies are great and mighty. The wait is long. The crowd is doubtful. The giants are enormous and the mountain is high but that’s where the grass grows tallest. Follow God fully as did Caleb and Joshua and see what great blessings God has laid up. The book of Joshua, chapter 14 in the bible says:

What blessings would God give to those who follow Him fully?
  1. The blessing of finding God's fulfilled promise. Caleb saw God do what he promised he would do – bring them into the land of promise.
  2. The blessing of sustained strength. God will give you the strength to do what he has called and appointed you to do.
  3. The blessing of imparted inheritance. God said; "Here, I have something to give you." For Caleb, it was a magnificent portion of land. For us it may be a blessed family, or souls won to him or simply happiness in life, but bless he will.
  4. The blessing of conquest over the conflict. There were great giants to defeat but "the land had rest from war." God never promised that you would not have battles in life, but he has provided the victory in the Lord Jesus Christ.
I pray that you  and I have been encouraged to be a wholehearted follower of God and see these kinds of  blessings in our own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment