Monday, February 19, 2018

What About Hell?


Whatever happened to hell? I have found that people who don’t believe in hell talk more about hell than those who do.

The word “hell” is one of the world’s favorite bywords. I have heard people say, “It’s hot as hell.” I’ve heard some say, “It’s cold as hell.” I’ve heard “hell, yes,” and “hell, no.” Other catch phrases are, “What the hell,” “The hell you will,” “For the hell of it,” and “That’s one hell of a _________ (fill in the blank). Others are so crass as to say in anger, “Go to hell!”

I think people don’t want to think of the reality of a real hell so they find a way to water it down. People want to make it seem fun, thus: “We had one hell of a time.”

Some would like to think that hell would be a nice place to go because “All my friends will be there.”

Christians, however, don’t talk much about hell anymore. It’s taboo. When pressed about what we believe on this subject, we do our best to be nicer than God.

Megachurch pastor, Joel Osteen was asked, “Do you feel like you’re cheating people by not telling them about the ‘hell’ part?”

Osteen’s response was, “No, I really don’t because it’s a different approach. But I say most people are beaten down enough by life. They already feel guilty enough. They're not doing what they should, raising their kids you know, we can all find reasons. So I want them to come to Lakewood or our meetings and be lifted up, to say, 'You know what? I may not be perfect, but I'm moving forward. I'm doing better.' And I think that motivates you to do better."[i]

I’m not saying preachers should talk about hell all the time but there are some problems with what Osteen is saying.

One: People are not saved by “doing better.”

Two: Scripturally, pastors are not afforded the luxury to use a “different approach.” As Paul, we should preach “all the counsel of God.”[ii]

While I believe in a good and merciful God, I don’t believe that his mercy is all conclusive. He is longsuffering but he is not all suffering. I mean – he is not always going to put up with our rebellion. Shall not the judge of all the earth do right?[iii]

So, what about Hell? While the bible doctrine of hell is complex, it is not unclear. Without writing on the subject exhaustively, I will do my best to clarify our understanding of hell as concisely as possible.

The Hebrew word Sheol and the corresponding Greek word Hades are sometimes translated “hell.”

This is the place of the departed dead. The man, described by Jesus, who had been rich while on earth, lifted his eyes up in hell (Hades), being in torments. He was now a beggar asking for only one drop of water.[iv]

In the end times (after the 1,000 year reign of Christ on earth), the bible says that those in hell will be raised to stand in judgment before God. The book of the Revelation tells us that Hades will deliver up the ones who have died and gone there. It then says that death and Hades will be cast into the “lake of fire.” This is the final, eternal hell and is one and the same as Gehenna that Jesus talked about in the gospels. This Gehenna is the final, eternal hell which is the place of eternal punishment for the wicked.[v]

So folks, don’t be ashamed or afraid to talk about hell, and instead of saying “Hell, yes,” let us say “Hell? No. Don’t go there.” Jesus said that whoever believes in him, the Son of God, would "not perish, but have everlasting life." [vi]




[ii]  Acts 20.27 The Holy Bible
[iii] Genesis 18.25
[iv] Luke 16.19-31
[v]  For an excellent and thorough doctrinal treatise on hell, please read
     http://faithdefenders.com/articles/theology/sheol_hades_gehenna.html
[vi] John 3.16

No comments:

Post a Comment