Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Is the Honeymoon Over?

Photo by PHUOC LE on Unsplash
For those men who are married: Do you remember when you first met that girl who is now your wife? The courting, putting your best foot forward, making an impression, cleaning up right before a date, the aftershave, maybe buying flowers or chocolate; these were things we all did at the time. You thought of her all day and dreamed of her at night. Her scent remained in your mind. No one else could hold a candle to her in your mind. Every lock of her hair, the beauty of her eyes, the sweetness of her voice, the touch of her hand; these stayed with you even when she was away. 

But you could hardly bear to be away from her. I remember when I was engaged to the girl who is now my wife of thirty-seven years. One time a buddy came to spend some time with me for a couple of days. I thought of some excuse as to why I needed to go by and see her because I so missed being with her. He tagged along but I'm sure it was obvious who garnered my attention the most.

Ladies, do you recall how that young man swept you off of your feet? Remember the comfort you felt when he spoke your name? You felt secure in his arms. You felt hopeful when he would talk about plans he had in mind that not only included you but made you the foremost person in his life. Many of you would have been willing to move anywhere with him. You conceded to change your very name so that you and he could have the same designation. It would be an honor to bear his children who would then have that very name.

Fast forward. What has it been now? Five, ten, twenty, forty years now? How are you feeling about her now? How are you feeling about him now? Sure, you love him or her, but do you love them the same as you did then? Are you still excited? Are you still enamored? Do you still almost swoon at the presence of the one you so adore?

Now, you can't wait to get home and ........  watch television. Conversation is in short snippets, sometimes hollered through the house. You have your preferences for time spent, she has hers. You have your friends, he has his. What happened?

These are all good points for recognizing the need of restoring love in our marriage but I'm not really on this subject for the sake of marriage not this time. 

I want to talk to you, Christian. 

Jesus' beloved disciple, John was now old. Having already endured much persecution, he was now in exile on a island called Patmos. The resurrected Jesus appeared to him to give him the Revelation or Apocalypse. Before he showed John about future things, he would address the present. The present need was the churches. He had the writing of this revelation taken to seven churches in Asia, each of which Jesus personally addressed.

The first church Jesus addressed was the church at Ephesus (the same church Paul wrote to in his letter, Ephesians.) Jesus commended the church for their diligent labor, and for their unwillingness to endure evil among them. He commended their perseverance, patience and endurance.

But then Jesus told them; "Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works," (Revelation 2.4-5). 

Listen Christian, do you remember when Jesus was always in the center of all your thoughts? Do you recall the joy of serving him? It wasn't out of obligation, but out of love. It wasn't just of duty and was without drudgery. 

I remember being saved at the age of seventeen. My old thoughts were almost totally replaced by the new excitement of having my sins forgiven, having the assurance of heaven and the continual presence of the Spirit of Christ in my heart. Some times I almost had to pinch myself to be sure I wasn't dreaming. Seriously. 

Later, I became a pastor. There were so many things that are expected of pastors that they can overshadow what our glorious Savior wants from our lives. Not always did I, nor do I now, have that same first love that I had as a teenager, but when I think about how much Jesus loves me, I can't help but love him back (see 1 John 4.19).

Jesus said "repent." But how can we repent of the lack of love? We must go back to the days when we first fell in love with the Savior. Paul, I believe, wrote: "But recall the former days." (Hebrews 10.32) Remember the joy, peace and love you felt in knowing Christ Jesus had entered your life and made you a new creation. This will restore that first love in your heart.

Just as a couple in marriage need to be brought back to the excitement, joy, and love they experienced in the early days of their relationship; so we too need to be brought back to the time of our coming to know the glorious, wonderful, precious, kind, compassionate, gracious and perfect Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!

Andre Crouch wrote:
Take me back, take me back dear Lord
To the place where I first received you.
Take me back, take me back dear Lord 
Where I first believed.
I feel that I'm so far from you Lord
But still I hear you calling me
Those simple things that I once knew,
The memories are drawing me. 
I must confess, Lord I've been blessed
But yet my soul's not satisfied.
Renew my faith, restore my joy
And dry my weeping eyes.
I tried so hard,
To make it all alone.
I need your help
Just to make it home.
Take me back, take me back dear Lord
To the place where I first received you.
Take me back, take me back dear Lord 
Where I first believed.

No comments:

Post a Comment