Monday, May 15, 2017

How Much Faith Does it Take?

This article was written as a continuation on the subject of faith that we wrote about here. That article was based upon the words of Hebrews chapter eleven – the Old Testament hall of faith. Their faith seemed to be magnificent. A Christian brother wrote with several questions about that article. I hope this will help to answer some of those questions or any that you might have as well.

I don’t understand all God has said in his word. But what I don't understand, I still hope to be able to say that I believe it.

When we read about the results of faith in the lives in the saints of antiquity it might make us wonder how much faith we really have. Do I have the kind of faith those believers possessed?

The things written in Hebrews chapter eleven are really a compilation of many people's examples of faith. I'm not sure each of them had all of these qualities. It was never said that David built an ark as did Noah nor did it say that Rahab trusted God to have the strength to conceive and give birth to a son at the age of ninety as Sarah did. But one thing all these had in common was faith and that faith compelled them to do what God required of them in their unique circumstances.

God gives us grace for where we are right now, not necessarily for where we’ll be next week. He gives us grace as needed for ourselves – not for someone else’s needs.

I have often wondered if I would be able to have the boldness to serve Jesus if my job, my home, my family, or my life were being threatened. I don’t know, but I do know that God has grace for me right now and right here. I believe he would give me grace for any situation. And God has grace for you, for where you are right now.

How do people endure the devastation of a divorce? Grace. How does one deal with the pressure of having heard that they or a loved one has a terminal illness? Grace. How can someone navigate through days of continual loneliness? God’s grace.

How can I remain true to the Lord when dealing with extreme bombardments of temptation? Grace. How may I find cleansing if I have given in to temptation? By grace also. 

How do I handle having lost everything in this life I possessed? Grace.

What can keep me from becoming arrogant if I grow wealthy? How can I keep the Lord the first priority in my life during times of success and notoriety? The answer is the same – grace. So this means God can be trusted in every condition we may experience in life – good or bad.

How much faith does God require? It sounds like a whole lot. But no, Jesus said it only takes faith as a grain of mustard seed to move a mountain.[1]

So if that mountain moves, who or what did it? Was it I? Was it my faith? Was it the volume of my faith? The answer to all these is no.

If that mountain moves, it was God who did it. All we do is simply trust the God who can move mountains.

It is God that gives us that gift to believe, and yes, it is through faith that God supplies his grace for salvation.

The thief on the cross only had a short-lived faith and I'm sure he also lacked clear understanding about everything Jesus was. He knew Jesus was innocent. He called him Lord and he recognized him as King, saying; "Remember me when you come into your kingdom." He probably didn't know much about where Jesus was now headed, but he was justified as Jesus assured him; "Today you will be with me in paradise."[2]

One man said to Jesus; "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!"[3] That doesn’t sound like a whole lot of faith!

Peter said contradictory things about Jesus in the same setting[4] but he was one of God's chosen.[5]

The man who had been born blind simply said; "Whether (Jesus) be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see."[6] He was not very learned about Jesus yet profound at the same time. Later he was puzzled that the Pharisees did not recognize Jesus was from heaven. The man recognized Jesus was from God. After the Pharisees excommunicated him, Jesus came to him and revealed himself as the Son of God. There he worshiped him.[7] This worship seems to be a sign of the man's faith, though, oh, so limited. I believe he had now become a child of God.

Jesus also said we would have to become as a little child to enter the kingdom. So it is not necessarily doing more that exemplifies our faith, sometimes it is in doing nothing. A child is in so many ways completely helpless. He may not know his directions but he trusts in someone who does. He would not be able to make a living for himself but he confides in his parents to do that for him. He does not know the answer to great mysteries but he can trust in someone who does.

Jesus was saying I should recognize that I am like a little child. There is so much I don’t know but I know the one who knows. There is so much I cannot do but I know the one who can. I cannot save myself from my sins but I believe in Jesus Christ who redeemed me through his death on the cross and who rose again.

Philippians 3 says:

…that I may… be found in (Christ,) not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith.

It is not our faith that matters most here, because our faith will waver and vary greatly. It is the object of our faith that matters. It doesn’t matter how great our faith is. What matters is: How great is the one in whom we trust. It is not about a big faith, but it is about a big God.



[1] Matthew 17.20
[2] Luke 23.43
[3] Mark 9.24
[4] as I may sometimes do
[5] Matthew 16.16-21
[6] John 9.25
[7] John 9.38

No comments:

Post a Comment